Saturday, 18 June 2011

Learning to crochet

In my previous post, I showed some pages out of the Mollie Makes magazine. One page in particular really caught my eye, and that was the crocheted granny blanket, and I had a real urge to start making one for myself. The problem is I can't crochet! I tried a couple of years back making amigurumi and failed miserably. So much so I handed my crochet needles over to my sister, and decided to just stick to my sewing. Until yesterday.
The thing is I like to have a project to do in the evenings in front of the TV. And because its just not possible to put the sewing machine in front of the TV I normally do some cross stitch, however the thought of making a crochet blanket seemed really appealing. So off I headed to Hobbycraft and bought...

Two books and some lovely yarn. I was all set to go! I did a search on You Tube and found a tutorial on how to make a granny square. Whereas the books are really great and informative, you cant beat seeing it in real time, especially for me as I find it hard to read pattern directions.
What I had forgotten was how hard it is when you first start! I spent all of yesterday evening and night, doing a few stitches only to pull them straight out again, it was very frustrating. When finally I was too tired to try anymore I went to bed, with the determination of getting it right in the morning.
The morning however was no easier. I searched different videos trying to find the one that the most sense and was easy to follow. By now I had mastered the chain stitch and the slip stitch but was really struggling to start the double crochet! Until I found this video that made it fall into place! If you want to have a go yourself I highly recommend this one. What I haven't mentioned is that I am also left handed, which seemed to make following the steps a little more difficult, however this video still made sense and I finally got on my way with my square!


Please don't look too closely as its only my first one, so I know its not perfect, but I am really chuffed that I finally did it! And I am now working on my next square.


I'm on a roll! I don't quite feel to confident to move away from the video as reference but I'm getting there! Well worth the many hours of getting it wrong. The only thing now is I'm hooked! (no pun intended) and I have to go out tonight, I think I may find it hard to tear myself away from it. Although my fingers could really do with a rest! :)

Hope your enjoying the weekend! x

3 comments:

FELT! by Gina said...

Those look great! :o) I have to put Learning to Crochet on my long term to-do list. :o)

Milton said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

Cancer Treatment Guide

Ariella Lola said...

Hi there. www.glitterartfit.blogspot.com has a few crochet tutorials. they might be helpful!! I run that blog and I love guinea pigs, i am getting my second one this week!! any tips?
love,
ariella